Saturday, July 25, 2020

JUST A LITTLE OF COSTA RICA


As far as many people are concerned, Costa Rica is full of wonders. Just one entry is not enough to show them all. While pursuing my TESOL CERTIFICATE at Centro Espiral Maná (Mana Spiral Center), I had the chance to explore a little of its northern rural area. The few things I saw made me want to come back and continue exploring this magnificent treasure in Central America.

It was the rainy season and seeing the Volcan El Arenal (The Arenal Volcano) was not that easy because of the fog.  Fortunately, I could take a picture of this wonder in Costa Rica. This volcano is located in La Fortuna District, 8 kms away from La Fortuna City. 



During that month of hard study, I could visit Ciudad de la Fortuna (La Fortuna City), which is in San Carlos canton, in Alajuela Province. Fortuna is translated into English as fortune. Before the Arenal Volcano eruption in 1968, El Bohío was a town to the east of the volcano. The eruption destroyed some towns to the west. Fortunately, El Bohío was not touched by the eruption. Due to that, the town’s name was changed into La Fortuna.


The wonderful learning experience at Centro Espiral Mana helped me improve my English teaching practice.  That place is an educational institute in which mostly English is taught. It is located in EL INVU (Instituto Nacional de Vivienda y Urbanismo), a rural community in Peñas Blancas. I had the opportunity to share with students, other English teachers and trainers from other countries such as Mexico, Chile, England, and Argentina. The experience was full of professional development and integral growth.


A spiral is the logo of Centro Espiral Mana. This one, made with plants, is as natural as Costa Rica. 


These are my fellows at work. They are a group of English teachers from Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, and Chile. 



Like in millions of Latin American and European people, soccer seems to flow through the blood of The Ticos (Costa Rican people). That is why a plaza -as they call the soccer field- is commonly seen.


I saw a great natural diversity, which includes colorful flowers. My lens and I found this one very beautiful.


We could see interesting mammals such as this sloth, which visited us one morning when my classmates and I were as busy as always. All of us enjoyed the pleasant interruption and the cute animal became our pet for a while.


I could see many insects such as this grasshopper.  I saw it when I was taking a relaxing walk. 


Also, during my relaxing walk, I found this beautiful butterfly getting nectar from a beautiful flower. In fact, my classmates went on a trip to the Botanical Garden. When they came back, they told me they had seen a very interesting butterfly farm. That is one of my places to visit in my next trip to C.R.


Finally, the best way to end any kind of event is enjoying the hot springs near The Arenal Volcano. They reach 45 Degrees C. However, once you have been in the water for a couple of minutes, you do not want to get out of the pond.

To explore the Spanish version of this entry, please, go to:

https://maxhumano.blogspot.com/2020/07/un-poquito-de-costa-rica.html

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment

SUMMER WRITING IN ENGLISH AT UASD

Hello, everyone,  During the summer of 2023, my English Composition I class wrote about their favorite places. Here are four of their best p...