Saturday, August 5, 2017

ANOTHER PAIR OF ESSAYS WRITTEN BY MY COMPOSITION I STUDENTS DURING 2017-1





Hi, everyone,
I hope you all enjoy this pair of essays my English Composition I students wrote last semester.
Is there anything in Rebeca and Ruth's pieces that calls your attention? Please, leave a comment.

My Backyard 

By Rebeca Reyes Paulino


My backyard is my refugee. Firstly, because is the place in which I can spend time with my family and friends. It is a place that is far from the noisy and hot city. In my yard, people can be surrounded by the bounty of the earth, and at the same time, feel inner peace. In this special yard, everybody can leave the stress and worries of the daily life behind.

There is an interesting green area in my backyard. My yard is a blessing place for me. You can eat everything that is hanging out in each tree. When you arrive to my yard, the first thing you see is a big guava tree. That tree is enormous. The guavas leaves are green and big. It has many guavas all around the tree, which has a huge and brown trunk. Next to the guava tree, there is a red cherry tree. This plant is not as big as the guava tree, but it has a lot at of branches pointing up to the sky. This is plant is covered by many leaves. There are many red cherries on the tree. Another tree that makes my yard pretty is the tamarind tree. It is on the middle of the yard. Its branches are full of tiny leaves. It produces a sour and sweet fruit. All those trees are interesting and their fruits are delicious. All these plants and trees give us fruits, shadow, and keep people in harmony with nature.

The amount of animals in my yard varies in size and color. The first animals that I notice are butterflies flying over the cherry tree. Butterflies have a big and colorful body and they have big wings that they shake all the time along with the air. Its moves make them more beautiful. They are always surrounding flowers in search of food. Other animals in my yard are  lizards. They are very common in most yards, and they are frequently climbing all types of trees looking for insects for eating. They have different colors and sizes such as green, brown, and sometime they are multicolor. I can see groups of birds flying and singing around the guava tree. They are ussually all together going from one side to another in search of seeds. I see many flies in the air, and many mosquitoes as well. Something that has always called my attention is when those flies are flying forming a circle in the air for a long period of time.

All the interesting things that we can do in my backyard are incredible. For example, Last December, my family planned a big thanks-giving dinner in which many of our relatives came from different part of the country. Firstly, I decorated the yard with balloons hanging from the trees and rented a lot of chairs that we organized in many circles. My mother-in-law decided to make some food. She made a traditional Dominican dish. The neighbors brought sweets and cakes. Besides, as a tradition in the yard, we celebrate Easter. My grandmother makes a meeting with all the relatives and friends to pray for all the families and thank. She invites a preacher that spends an hour praying for the children all around the world. Winter is one of our favorite seasons because we get together, especially during a blackout. We prepare a big pot of tea made of ginger and cinnamon while my parents are talking about cripy stories in the middle of the night.

To conclude, my backyard is a place with a beautiful green area and a amazing landscape. People can get rid of negative leelings and be part of the great scenery just by swing all the different fruits around it. Also people can coexist with the amoung of animals of different species that are always moving from one side to another. On the other hand, people can realice many activities during the whole year. Im my opinion, people should spend less time working or doing unmeanningful things and dedicate more time sharing with their families in order to keep the family together for ever.     


San Francisco de Macorís 2017

San Fco. Macorís, Dominican Republic.
Thursday, May 18th., 2017

MY APARTMENT
 By Ruth del Carmen Monegro
My apartment is a place in which you enjoy your free time. My apartment is a special place. A place that I can call home. It is a place where you can relax and feel free. It is a place to do all the things you need to. My apartment has those qualities. Those things make it my favorite place. I love to stay there with my baby, enjoying the view and the peace that you can experience in this place.  
         The decoration of my apartment is simple and elegant. My apartment has a modern and elegant style. It is featured with a subtle touch of elegance in black, white, and gray. The walls are painted a kind of colonial white. That light color makes the space the biggest and the cleanest. The door is a kind of aluminum brown. There is a dark brown furniture set and paints in dark colors, too. They make the living room a special combination. The bathroom is like the same, but in this case, the walls are covered with gray ceramic and have a white floor with Spanish ceramic. The shower curtains are in crystal with a big mirror in the middle. The decoration is connected with the special and modern style I want to express.
The living room of my apartment has the best view ever. The living room has a perfect view because it has a big window in the front. From there, you can see the park of my neighborhood. You can see and hear the birds on all the trees in the park. The view can carry you to another place. The living room has 30 meters square. The floor is white and gray granite. The walls are painted white. The window has some iron bars that cover it. They are black. There is a big beige curtain with gold embroidery. The door is brown and has another black iron door. At the entrance, there is a water proof black mat with a beige sign that reads welcome. In the hallway, there are three little tables with some plants on them. The living room is  kind of modern style. There is a dark brown furniture set and four rocking chairs next to it. The rocking chairs are next to the big window, which are made of fiberglass. There is a little table with some flowers on it. On the walls, there are two paintings. One of them is above the sofa. The other one is on the left side. It is about a cottage by a river. Those paintings have a black frame with a gold lace. I invite my family and friends to enjoy it. They feel comfortable and warm. Early in the morning, when the sun is rising, the rays of the sun touch and reflect on the wall and pass by the window. It is really great to take a cup of coffee in the morning, sitting on the rocking chairs.
The baby´s room is the most beautiful and cute room in my entire apartment. It is a little room, but it has a lot of cute things for my baby. It is 40x40 meters square. The walls are painted white. The floor is granite. The room is in the middle of my bedroom and the living room. It is in front of the bathroom. On the walls, I pasted some letters foraming my baby´s name. Her name is Maryori Rouse. The letters are pink and purple. There are some purple butterflies. There is a king of aluminum white door. The window is made of glass with black aluminum rim. The glass is transparent, so early in the morning, when the sun is coming out, the rays of the sun touch and pass through the glass, and reflect on the wall. For that reason, the room is really warm. There is a little cradle on the corner, next to the window. Also, there is a running chair near the cradle. The bed set is dark brown made with treated pine. There is a little closet drawer. There is a big closet with a mirror door on a corner of the room. The doors of the closet go from one side to another. It has the baby´s  things like clothes, shoes, and towels. There is an aluminum fan in the room. It has a bulb in the middle of it. The remote control is next to the door to the left side. It has five volumes going from slow to fast. There are some balloons arrangements, which are pink, green, yellow, purple, and blue with baby´s drawings. There are some beige curtains covering the window. The curtains are made of screen cloth.
My apartment is a beautiful place to stay. It has a modern and elegant decoration. Also, it has the best view I have never seen. The decoration is made with some special materials and details which make it an amazing place. The apartment looks like a big place. The baby´s room is the most beautiful and cute room in the whole apartment. They spend a lot of time build it. It was built to make my baby happy and comfortable. The whole apartment is a really beautiful place.
San Francisco de Macorís 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

SUMMER WRITING IN ENGLISH AT UASD

Hello, everyone,  During the summer of 2023, my English Composition I class wrote about their favorite places. Here are four of their best p...